Saturday, March 13, 2010

Wild and Whacky Stuff in Indonesia

When people ask me about Indonesia I want to tell them about the bizarro, whacky mind altering stuff (at least to the average Westerner) that happens over there.

So the list could include something about how the Minangkabau is a matriarchal society - I need to learn more about Minangkabau culture!!

How the Timorese rever chickens (at least I think they do).

Or how everything can be eaten with a chocolate and cheese topping.

Any ideas?

5 comments:

Christine the Bean said...

Kaja Koklat (sp?) is a CLASSIC. Though you must specify that it is normal, run of the mill cheese, like a cheddar, or else it's not that shocking.

mukuge said...

At least three types of chilli condiments, available even from your humble roadside noodle seller... at no extra charge.

And the labour invention known as 'tukang parkir'.

Unknown said...

Bean - Coklat dan Keju I think is the proper terminology...

Marsha - I am not sure whether tukang parkir is an Indo invention or not... Cos I remember it back in Ireland years and years ago...

Finally Woken said...

Not just chocolate and cheese, but chocolate+cheese+condense milk+shredded nuts. That's what you'll find in 'martabak manis' or 'terang bulan'.

How about eating fried bananas with chili sauce, a custom of people from Manado?

The list is endless.

But again, who would eat chips with vinegar and salt? Only British. Or pickled egg. Or fried pizza.

Unknown said...

Very true Anita. I suppose it's all about broadening your mind : ) and revelling in our differences!