Saturday, October 31, 2009

Zaitzeff on Hallowe'en

I busted my ankle last night, therefore I am not partying this Hallowe'en.

I have been laid up all day. An hour and a half ago I went out for some fresh air and to grab a bite to eat. It's such a utterly miserable night out though.

The burger bar is called Zaitzeff, it's a nice place. I struck up a conversation with a German woman who's lived in Ireland for 10 years. She happened to mention how some Irish people have been asking her about when she'd be leaving Ireland.

A roundabout way of implying that she's not wanted anymore (now that Ireland is in the grips of recession).

How interesting. Those Irish, who hail from one of the world's greatest migrant people are getting hung up on immigrants in Ireland. Hypocrites!

6 comments:

triesti said...

in the beginning I got that question a lot in NL. and if I said as soon as possible, they looked happy. Almost all who asked that question were from rural area where there were less foreigners, and I think nowadays where the Wilders' supporters are.

delvi said...

sakitkah?

David said...

Here in Oz, we get white (European) migrants complaining about non-white migrants. My wife had one form Russia start up in her uni tutorial session raving on about Asian migrants!!

I'd heard it said also that (some? many?) 'old' Irish have a dim view of the 'new' Irish, ie, those born overseas to Irish immigrant parents but returning to their 'homeland' during the 80's and 90's boomtimes. True?

Unknown said...

David,

I have not gotten that impression.

As an aside, I don't want to give the impression that Irish people are generally xenophobic, all I have to go upon is the odd story I pick up from here and there. And more often than not I hear the darker rather than the lighter stories...

oigal said...

David raises an interesting point. My better half, is Asian by birth and last time travelling to Australia the Customs bloke was the blackest of black African. The BH was beside herself that "How come he can ask me questions, I have been here longer than him (?) and he much blacker than I am.

All to often Racism is painted as a "western" issue with the rest of one world living in harmonious brotherhood. The reality is the "west" doesn't do racism well at all compared to many.

Unknown said...

totally agree with u oigal, every race has their foibles...